Festive parties and light shows, garlands and holly, feasting and gatherings – the recipe to a cheerful season in Grey County. With about a month left until the holidays, you may be getting ready to do a little shopping. We highly suggest keeping close to home while looking for your thoughtful gift. Buying local will not only give you a one-of-a-kind gift made right here in Grey County but you’ll also be supporting our local economy, and the small businesses that work hard to make their hand-crafted goods.
We’ve rounded up a highlight reel of a few local-based products, businesses and experiences that make products great for stocking stuffers, hostess gifts or for someone special who loves all things local.
1. MacLean's Ales - Made in the quaint town of Hanover Ontario, MacLean's makes some of the best beer in the area. From their Cherry Porter to their classic India Pale Ale, they are sure to win over any crowd. Pick up some of their seasonal tall-cans in your local LCBO or visit their brewery for a quick tasting. It's the perfect gift for any craft beer fan, or something you can bring along as your holiday party contribution. Best part is, you'll be able to tell them it was brewed up mere kms away.
2. The Valley Alchemist – Loose Leaf Tea – Nothing more cozy than a hot cup of tea on Christmas morning to stay warm. Luckily for us, The Valley Alchemist makes small batch, loose-leaf teas blended in The Blue Mountains. Sustainable sourced, locally blended and absolutely delicious. We hear the Peppermint Chocolate Cake blend is to die for.
3. Nakd Basics - Nestled on the main street of Owen Sound, Nakd Basics offers a wide range of products containing nothing but the best of natural herbs and ingredients. From bubble bars, body butters, essential oils and natural skin care products, Owner Charlee is bringing it back to basics and hopes to inspire you to use products good for your health, nutrition and overall spirituality.
4. Georgian Hills – Winter Wines & Vines Tour- This is the ultimate gift for the adventurous and the foodie in your life. Embrace winter head-on and plan on visiting Georgian Hills this winter for one of their guided snowshoe hikes through the vineyard followed by some wine, cheese and charcuterie tasting. It’s truly an epic winter experience.
5. Geometric Shelf by Gallery District Designs – Known for her peak “mountain” style shelves, Bryn Wilgress of Gallery District Design is knocking the local artisan markets out of the park while ensuring most of her supplies are sourced from local shops. From double peak shelves to frosty wooden coasters and mountain key chains, GDD has successfully emulated her love for nature and Grey County through her handcrafted creations. Best of all, she donates 10% of her profits to greening and reforesting initiatives in Ontario.
6. Beaver Valley Maple Syrup Made in the heart of the Beaver Valley, this new company brings beautifully crafted, 100% organic amber syrup to the table. With only a year into production, the verdict has been nothing short of delicious. It’ll make the holidays just a wee bit sweeter. Pick up a bottle at The Bakery in Flesherton, Rice’s Home Hardware, McGuinty’s, The Kitchen in Meaford or The Thornbury Bakery in Thornbury (just to name a few).
7. Come To Our Table, South Georgian Bay Community Cookbook - Give the gift of community this Christmas. This cookbook is truly a celebration of all that is local growers, entrepreneurs, chefs, and artists in the Grey & Simcoe regions. Filled with simple recipes, stunning photography and stories of local residents, it's the unique gift you've been looking for.
8. Williamsford Pie Company – Oh for the love of pie! What’s a family dinner without a slice of rich and flaky homemade pie? No trip through Grey County is complete without at stop at Williamsford Pie Company for a look at their holiday line-up. They’ll definitely hook you up with one, two or even three pies to serve over the holidays and you won’t regret it!
A highlight reel of a few local-based products, businesses and experiences that make products great for stocking stuffers, hostess gifts or for someone special who loves all things local.