With summer weather upon us, few locales offer as splendid and as varied attractions for a three-day getaway as does Grey County. The area showcases magnificent Georgian Bay, often referred to as “the sixth Great Lake” featuring more than 30,000 islands and 2,000 km of shoreline. Windswept pines, majestic towering cliffs, endless beaches and clear blue water combine to create a one-of-a-kind destination.
For accommodations, Cobble Beach with glorious water vistas is a just few miles from Owen Sound and has a variety of options. The resort features a treasure trove of amenities including a comfortable Nantucket-style clubhouse complete with a five-star restaurant, bar, resort-caliber spa and fitness center. Ten tastefully-appointed guest suites are available for stays at The Inn upstairs.
Guests also have access to The Cottages at Cobble Beach, each with two bedrooms, wet bars and living rooms. Additionally, more than 18 km of hiking, cycling and cross-country skiing trails promote symmetry between work, play, indulgence, health and wellness.
Here’s a three-day weekend itinerary to consider:
- Arrive at Cobble Beach in time for an afternoon round on the spectacular Doug Carrick-designed, links-style golf course with dramatic views of the bay from all 18 holes. It’s the perfect place to tee-it-up away from the hustle and bustle as tranquil vistas reign from most every vantage point.
- Après golf drive into Owen Sound for a glass of wine and cheese platter at The Milk Maid Fine Foods and Cheese. Afterwards go to Norma Jean’s Bistro for dinner. The Moroccan Scallops starter and Pan Seared Tenderloin entrée are not to be missed.
- After the excellent breakfast at Cobble Beach’s Sweetwater Restaurant (with pancakes that will give you faith in humanity) enjoy a morning round of golf, play tennis or get moving on the property’s hiking trails.
- In the afternoon head into Owen Sound to browse the Tom Thomson Art Gallery as well as the local Artists Co-op downtown.
- For a late lunch / early dinner head to nearby Markdale to The Barrhead Pub & Grill. The atmosphere is fun and casual and they are committed to using the freshest local ingredients.
- Live entertainment happens every Friday night at Coffin Ridge Winery in nearby Annan. Picturesque Leith Church hosts the SweetWater Music Festival concert series all summer and is well worth a visit.
- After the Sweetwater breakfast, The Spa at Cobble Beach offers a wide variety of treatments for him, her and couples. Massages range from traditional relaxation to hot stone and aromatherapy. There are a variety of facials and wraps on the menu, as well as hand and foot therapies.
- After checking out, we recommend visiting scenic Jones Falls and Inglis Falls for Mother Nature in her full glory. The Grey Roots Museum & Archives is also ideal for some local history and even has an indoor waterfall.