Introducing Grey County's Outdoor Activity Map - Your guide to safely enjoying Grey County's great outdoors!
At the northern terminus of the Garafraxa Road on the shores of Owen Sound, a town plot was laid out in 1840 to encourage settlement in that part of the county. Originally called Sydenham, the settlement took the name of its adjacent body of water in 1857 when, with 2 000 residents, it was incorporated as the Town of Owen Sound. Located on the grounds of the city hall, 808 Second Avenue East, Owen Sound.
Following the signing of the Saugeen Treaty the government rebuilt a former Indian Village adjacent to the settlement at Owen Sound for a band of Ojibwa led by Chief Newash.
Constructed mainly between 1848 and 1851, this colonization road served to open up portions of Grey and Dufferin counties and to provide a more direct route between Owen Sound and Toronto.Located in Memorial Park, Hwys 6 & 10, Chatsworth.
In November 1881 the heavily-laden freight and passenger vessel Jane Miller capsized in Georgian Bay en route to ports along the peninsula and Manitoulin Island.